Tuesday 29 July 2014

On Suffering

Some times the only path to an end is to suffer.

The Chief looms over Squamish - so after staring up at it for a few days - I decided I wanted to run up it. I can't say my fitness has been optimal, so I knew it was going to be a struggle-fest. Good thing I'm a sucker for punishment.

My fitness got me half way and my ego dragged me the rest of the way. After the first half, ascending rapidly might be a more apt term than the word 'running'.  I had a nice long rest on the first peak. Soaked up the sun and chatted with randoms. On the way down I felt good, so I decided to run up Peak 2.  Repeated the break procedure.

Ran into a girl I went to middle school with. That was weird - small world eh?

I was starting to overheat on the way down (ran out of water going up second peak). I hoped a fence and bathed like a troll under a bridge crossing a stream. Best idea ever - it was amazing - cold and refreshing.

Even while suffering, there is usually a temporary reprieve and opportunity for enjoyment - if not, it'll be over eventually....... ;-)

Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory. - William Barclay





No comments:

Post a Comment