Thursday 17 July 2014

Mall Crawler

The drive to Edmonton was uneventful - thank the flying spaghetti monster.

After my last post, I hit the road and headed up to Kamloops. There I conducted a quick leak check to make sure Walden wasn’t disgorging his vital fluids. I had to route choices - direct to Edmonton (more remote) or via Calgary (slightly longer) Feeling brave - I drove off into the haze and into a cellular dead zone that lasted hundreds of miles. The red sun watching from the west.

I initially wanted to use another rest area and aimed to find one when I got tired. Unfortunately a sign that stated ‘no overnight stays’ put a kibosh on that idea, so I forged on Northwards. I ended up in a pull off on the edge of highway. Down by a river (starting to become a theme, eh?).

This was a bit of mistake. Too close to the highway and mosquitoes were a problem (So I slept with the windows shut). Regardless, I slept pretty well and left early.

The Yellowhead highway is pretty desolate but there are still small hamlets along the way. I rolled by this gem in Avola (this is probably the only time you’ll ever hear of Avola BC).

The restaurant is named “Restaurant” and next to it a gas station, simply called “Gas” with an attached store called “Food Store”.

Rolling into Edmonton, I realized I had no map or master plan. This meant I needed to find a Starbucks - but being ‘Berta, I knew I was no longer on the Coast. Hadn’t seen a Starbucks since I left Kamloops hundreds of miles ago. Using my superior navigation skills, I collided with West Edmonton Mall and despite the prairies propensity towards Tims, there must be a Bucks in the North America’s Largest Mall.

Sure enough. There was a West Coast Embassy - where I sit now, planning my weekend.

For my next trick, I’ll find a Walmart to sleep at.

No comments:

Post a Comment