Wednesday 23 July 2014

Kit List

Given that I'd be driving a sub $1000 - I knew from the start that I'd be driving an 'reliably suspect' vehicle.  With that in mind, if I were to get stranded - my escape plan has always been to scrap the vehicle and hitchhike/greyhound it back to civilization. This also curtails the amount of stuff I bring with me.

Here is my kit list, more or less:

Bags:
  • Rucksack
  • Back pack (this is essential. Initially I planned on using a shoe bag for my laptop but I am sooooo glad I brought this).
  • Some shoe bags (used for organizing - I hang them behind head rests.

Sleeping:
  • 3/4 length Therm-a-rest
  • Silk sleeping bad liner (great for sleeping in if it's hot)
  • 0º MEC Raven down sleeping (I generally sleep with the zip full open and use it like a duvet)
  • MEC inflatable pillow
Cooking:
  • MSR Dragonfly stove (probably overkill for this but it's what I had) - I use white gas but can use a variety of fuels in a pinch. The main issue with the dragon fly is the noise - it's not very covert. Sounds like a small jet engine).
  • MSR water filter (use it to stock up on water when I'm out in the sticks)
  • 2 small hiking pots/tiny frying pan
  • Spork
  • Knife
  • Nalgene (additionally I have 3 jugs of water. 1 4L jug is drinkable - the rest I use for washing/coolant etc)
Clothing: Most of my clothing I chose is old and disposable. I did this in case I needed to ditch it for whatever reason or make a change (ie. I've been thinking it would be nice to buy more lightweight merino t-shirts, as they can be worn longer without washing).
  • 2 pairs shorts
  • day shoes
  • 1 pair jeans
  • 1 rain shell
  • a bunch of underwear/socks (7 pairs?)
  • t-shirts
  • a bunch of running gear (few pairs of shoes/shirts/shorts etc)
Toiletries: (I keep a lot of these in my day bag - so I don't need to remember to bring them)
  • Toothbrush/tooth paste
  • Soap
  • Deodorant 
  • $4 Flip flops (for the showers)
Electronics:
  • Laptop for work
  • Cellphone
  • GPS Watch (running)
  • Camera
Misc:
  • Wet wipes
  • Fabric Frebreeze
  • Shoe box (used as my pantry)
  • Laundry basket (used as my closet)
I think that is most of it. I'll add to it if I notice any glaring omissions.

Here are some pictures:

Side view. Pretty innocuous...even with the door open.

Interior. Trying my best to run a tight ship.

I have a lot of room. I'm 5'10" and can easily stretch out laying down.

1 comment:

  1. And a nuclear fallout supply of oatmeal. Glad to see the stove got working again. :)

    ReplyDelete