Thursday 24 July 2014

Rain rain...

I slowed down to smell the roses yesterday - a nice change from racking up the miles. I need to constantly remind myself I have nowhere I need to be until August 2nd (more orienteering!).

After hitting Starbucks for a couple of hours - I drove around the corner to a park and cooked up some oatmeal. There were some city workers and big signs saying no camp fires. I was a little concerned they'd tell me to cut it out - but then I remembered they were city workers. They don't care.

My kitchen has an expansive granite counter top and gas stove. NBD

For those unfamiliar with the  MSR Dragon Fly - it produces a sizable flame while warming up - a huge one if I'm a little too generous with the gas. When it's going, it's very loud. Great stove though, simmers nicely.


My brother has always said "Easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission". I think that saying applies to this lifestyle. When in Edmonton, I camped on what appeared to be on a farm land - a road allowance according to one the guys (who claimed said road allowances were crown land). Traditionally, my mindset is the opposite...so I feel a bit uncomfortable doing things I'm not entirely sure are allowed. You know how some people just seem to get away every thing? I'm not that guy.

I then sat in the sun reading and working. A pair of women noticed I had been there for a while and commented on that fact. I replied that it was my office, to which one said "You mustn't see many clients!".
I can see why...I was shirtless, shoeless and sitting in a $9 chair I bought from Target.

I'm a pretty lucky dude.

Thunder warned of an imminent storm, so I retreated to my safe place. Starbucks. Unfortunately, then the power went out! Their policy is to kick everyone out when that happens! So I got booted out into a torrential downpour...with nowhere to go, I drove back to Walmart and dug in for the night.

If I had been in a tent, this would've sucked. I have been caught in some thunderstorms in my Hubba Hubba (yes, I'm an MSR fan boy) and it blew - literally and figuratively. Walden is a little more robust - and lightning proof - even cozy. I read for the rest of the evening and ate.

One issue with Walmart overnighting is there is nowhere to easily piss in the middle of the night. This happened the first night. The second night I made sure I had a bottle to piss in. I only recommend this in emergencies, as you then need to dispose of it (hopefully bottle pickers don't find it!). If you do this get a wide mouth 1L bottle (bladders hold 400-600ml).
.
Pretzel buns are delicious. Eat your heart out Wendy.
Rain at night isn't a terrible thing living in a van - it causes people to stay inside. This is perfect for sleeping in residential areas. It also keeps everything nice and cool - vehicles turn into a sauna otherwise (in this area, an oven). During the day it sucks as it limits exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment