Tuesday 12 August 2014

The End

Naturally, much like Henry Thoreau's neighbors in Walden, my friends have been asking a lot of questions about living in Walden. While discussing it with my orienteering family over the last couple of weeks - I've had the opportunity to explore my thoughts on it further.

I've always hated small talk so I gravitate towards the verboten three - sex, politics and religion - so it comes as a relief to have something to discuss that won't grossly offend people I don't know intimately.

I worried that it would come across as a little vainglorious talking about it - after all it's not particularly amazing - but people seem genuinely curious/interested about this arrangement and what drove me to this point (yes, that's a driving pun).

After showing them Walden (inevitably, they sniff the interior) - we get into the Why. The older crowd, generally are more incredulous, and think I'm doing this as a lark. Sure, there is that aspect - the adventure within normal life - but the more I reflect on it, the more I realize there are deeper underlying concepts that really appeal to me on a long term basis (and that I've been trending this way for a while).

Now that I appear to have the logistics roughed out - and shown it's sustainable (in summer at least). One question keeps popping up:

"When will you stop?"
I answer, "When I get tired of it or someone stops me"
What do you think will be The End and when?
Will Walden have a mechanical? Will I tire of it? Will the reason be romantic? Winter? Financial?

I really should start a betting pool.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment