Friday 1 August 2014

Brainy brainy brainy…

A line I gleaned from the introduction of Walden that read “It is impossible to combine the hardiness of savages with the intellectualness of the civilized man” rang true in my ears as I consumed my evening meal - a half roasted chicken and a couple buns - with my fingers. Grease covering my fingers and face, I reflected on the fact that it was a struggle to wade through the introduction of the book I intend to digest during my trip. I am obviously more hardy savage than civilized - good thing I have some time on my hands.

Unless the Dunning-Kruger phenomenon is in full effect, I’m by no means stupid - but Walden is on a different level. So far I’ve been forced to eat it a sentence at a time - it’s excruciatingly slow going. Good practice in persistence and patience.

Worst case scenario - it makes me look brainy on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment