Thursday 21 August 2014

Planes, trains and automobiles

Despite despising cars as an interurban transport solution (and thinking them as the bane of society) - I am a car enthusiast.

I have owned (stored mostly) a modified Mazda RX-7 since 2002. In my early twenties, I foolishly dumped an a large part of my resources into running and upgrading it. I've since learned my lesson and keep her around as a reminder never to head down that road again (that, and I can't seem to be able to bring myself to sell her).

Even though the car is an overall failure and sits unused...the rex has taught me a lot of lessons and largely contributing to my philosophy about possessions vs experiences. I felt at the time, spending money on experiences would only leave me empty handed. I used the all-inclusive, drunk, Mexico vacations (and the like) as a basis for this conclusion - but neglected to expand my view of what sort of other experiences I could have. Obviously, that is a pretty broad generalization but it sums it up - plus being the uncompromising dude I am, I committed fully building the car.

It wasn't all bad - one thing I love about cars, specifically cult models - is the community they develop. I was delighted to discover I wasn't the only weirdo who owned an RX-7. In said sub-cultures...it's quite common to wave at other drivers of the same type. Sort of a - you have sweet taste in cars bro - gesture.

With seeing how prolific Windstars are, I've limited myself to yelling "Wiiiiiiiinnnnnndstaaaaaaarrr" or waving at his specific model type. The soccer moms don't get it....
 
Came back from Starbucks to find Walden had made a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment