Wednesday 27 August 2014

Balding Walden

Extending past the end of summer requires retooling for rainy conditions. Clothes will need to be swapped out for warmer ones, I’ll switch out my sleeping bag for my Hyperloft one (down doesn’t do well in damp conditions - plus it’s rated to -7ºC).

Most importantly, I need to prep Walden to tackle the elements. His lights have developed cataracts and need to be polished. The most pressing issue is that he needs new shoes - up front in particular, his front passenger tire is balding. Based on the wear, I suspect it’s scrubbing due to alignment issues. The steering doesn’t pull to one side but the tread is really worn on the outside of the tire.

I knew it was pretty low for a while, but seeing as I wasn’t sure if I’d be doing this into the winter - figured I’d go until I couldn’t. When Darren pointed it out as we worked on Walden…I agreed, it needed to be replaced (it’s down past the wear bars).

The cheapest new fronts I could find are around $215 for a pair mounted (courtesy of Crappy Tire)…so naturally I started to inquire at used tire dealers. No joy - so after an afternoon of putzing around Abby…I decided it probably could wait a little longer while I sourced some tires (I have a bad habit of agonizing over larger purchases).

I set course for Vancouver and hit the warp button.

Fast forward to me hanging out in a parking lot near Ikea killing some time. I decided to inspect the tire further to see just how much time I actually had.

Sticking my head into the well, I was immediately greeted with bare belt. Shiiiieeeet.

I noted earlier that the spare had plenty of tread and that despite it’s age is unknown - it would be better than the tire currently on there (I need to check the date of manufacture today).

Luckily changing tires is one of the few manly man skills I possess. My first day with Evenrude (my Firefly) - I had tread remove itself on the highway. In fact, my first reaction to seeing the belt this time around was “Aaahhh, that’s not THAT bad”. Evenrude was a loveable but derelict shit box and had old tires…He lost more tread off another tire later on the way to a date. I was late and performed what I felt was the fastest tire change in history.

It’s been a while but I still got it - I swapped the spare onto Walden in a Staples parking lot. It was a good opportunity to try my Joby Gorilla tripod (the magnetic/flexible kind). I’d recommend opting for the magnets - I’m not sure how often I’ll utilize them - but they are really handy when you do (sticks to Waldens fenders nicely).

Pictures of the operation:



No comments:

Post a Comment