Wednesday 27 August 2014

Over the Line

I popped over the border while I was in Abbotsford for some cheaper gas and got to break in my brand new passport.

The border wait was about 10-15 minutes in each direction - so it wasn’t terrible…but I wouldn’t want to wait much longer than that.

Got grilled by the guard a bit;

“Where are you going”
“Going to get some gas”
<points to gas station>
“Do you have any luggage in the vehicle?”
“Luggage?”
“Yes..luggage”
“Uh. Yeah. I have a bunch of camping gear”
“Where you going? Why do you have camping gear?”
“Uh. I’m on a road trip in Canada - all I want is some cheap gas”
“Carry on.”
“Thanks!”

Frankly, I was tempted to get into my life story and how I was a transient with no fixed address.

“I am a homeless man in a van. I come in peace. I just wanted some sweet, sweet, cheap gas….”
“Step out of the van sir”

Any way I look at it, I don’t think it would have ended well. Probably with van and cavity search - though that would make for a more interesting post.

Anyways. I filled at 3.76 which is about 107…gas in the valley was about $1.34/L. So I should come out ahead, even with VISA fees and time wasted in the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment