Wednesday 11 February 2015

Guadalajara

After a lovely stay, we've left our gilded accommodations in Punta de Mita and have travelled inland to Guadalajara. I feel like I'm back in Mexico.

In Punta de Mita -  it was easy to isolate ourselves from overwhelming chaos that is encountered while traveling in Mexico. Not saying it wasn't nice, but there is a reason my blog posts dropped off for a bit - it was comfortable and quiet - nothing much to report.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm starting to acclimatize - which was most evident we met another couple fresh from BC. He hadn't been to Mexico and I saw myself in him as he adjusted to how things roll down here. Not that I'm a jade international traveler by any means - but a Sayulita and Punta de Mita served as a good beginner level experience. Guadalajara feels like the next level.

The journey here was painless. I gotta say - the Mexican's sure know how to bus long distance - to the point that Greyhound really should take note. The experience was more akin to flying - headrest tv's, wifi, the bus even had separate women and men's washrooms - a bit of a surprise in Mexico - if you consider everything else.

We arrived late in the city and caught a cab. In Punta de Mita, I told my gf that if I ever forgot I was in Mexico, all I needed to do was hop on a local bus...taxi's are part of that next level that I am talking about. Let's just say we got downtown quickly - despite construction and heavy traffic hell bent on colliding with us. When I feel comfortable with taxis - I will know it's time to level up again.

This is a phenomenon our host mentioned to me as we left Punta de Mita. He said to remember to savoir that feeling of being out your element - the fear, strange smells and foreign culture - as this is what traveler's seek. The sad part is the more you travel the more that awe diminishes...wise words indeed. With that in mind. I'm trying to see Guadalajara in that light.

No comments:

Post a Comment